In addition to collecting, exhibiting and mediating, the core tasks of museums also include research. Even though exhibition activities and the care of collections, together with art education, take up many resources of the museum’s work, research is one of the most important tasks of the museum, especially in association with other research institutions. Research at the Kunstsammlungen Chemnitz focuses on the collections of the various museums, which are discussed at international conferences and the results of which are presented to a wider specialist public in specialist publications. Conferences and symposia are also organised by the Kunstsammlungen Chemnitz in the run-up to exhibitions in order to strengthen the scientific depth of projects and to network the research approach.
The scientific symposia and conferences of recent years and the coming period include:
- Autodidakten (Kunstsammlungen am Theaterplatz)
- Der Schrein der Erlösung. Das Heilige Grab aus der Chemnitzer Jakobikirche im europäischen Kontext (Schloßbergmuseum)
- Matrix Moderne | Ostmoderne (Kunstsammlungen am Theaterplatz)
- Kunst und Welt im Übergang. Visionen und Skepsis im Jahr des Mauerbaus 1961 (Kunstsammlungen am Theaterplatz)
- Der Klang der Großstadt: Chemnitz im Kaiserreich 1871–1918/1919 (Schloßbergmuseum)